Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2019

As Fine's time ends, North Texas reflects on end of era - 247Sports

Mason Fine subtly reclined in his seat, awaiting questions in his last post game press conference. For the first time in a North Texas uniform, his shoulders sank, breaking from his usual tense posture.

There were no tears, but the moment was clearly settling in.

“When we go back and watch film -- well I guess I won’t be watching film,” Fine said with a pause and a grin before continuing. “We played our hearts out and I couldn’t be more proud of this team. It was bittersweet.”

By the time the final question arrived, Fine appeared at peace. Four seasons of built up pressure he applied to himself began to weather away with every second, but he still looked ahead, this time to something much bigger than a game.

“It didn’t go the way we wanted, but that’s life,” Fine said. “This whole season has been an example of how life is and that’s why I love this game so much. This game has taught me a lot, not only as a player, but as a man. This chapter is closed, but I’m on to a new one and I’m looking forward to it.”

Mason Fine (Photo: Colin Mitchell, 247Sports)

The impact Fine has had on this program is tangible not only in results, prestige, attendance, and national spotlight, but in the confidence the Mean Green had with him at the helm.

“[He’s meant] as much as any player I’ve ever been around,” Littrell said. “Not because of the player, just because of the person. He buys in. He’s completely unselfish. He sacrifices for his teammate and it eats him up. He’s always the first to look at himself and fix his mistakes.

“I’ve learned a lot from Mason. He’s a special player and he’s a brother to me -- he always will be. I’m excited to watch his future.”

Life goes on for Fine and the other 22 seniors honored before Saturday evening’s game against UAB.

All 23 seniors played their part in resurrecting North Texas from a 1-11 season, even though this 2019 season didn’t go as planned. LaDarius Hamilton, Khairi Muhammad, Michael Lawrence were especially valuable, but Fine in particular stole the hearts of the Mean Green faithful.

There was a tribute video for Fine after the third quarter, but he tried not to think about it with the win still in reach, but afterwards it was clear how much it meant to him.

His story has been told countless times, but the kid from Locust Grove, Oklahoma’s time has come to an end. He’s set nearly every record and inspired everyone in Denton. The final buzzer marked the end of an era for North Texas, but his unwavering passion will continue to fuel this program into future success.

“The love that the seniors got throughout the week was unbelievable,” Fine said. “[The video] just shows how great this university has treated myself and my family. This experience has been better than I ever thought it would be. It’s better than any dream and I couldn’t be more happy to be apart of the Mean Green family. I appreciate everything everyone has done for me.”

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"fine" - Google News
December 01, 2019 at 10:21AM
https://ift.tt/2RasERq

As Fine's time ends, North Texas reflects on end of era - 247Sports
"fine" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2NyjnPq
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment